Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Gallery

Shoutbox

Brew Beerymore says: Cheers, 17'ers!
combat32 says: Happy 4th
combat32 says: Happy Memorial Day
Thank you to all our Veterans past, present and future ones.
combat32 says: Kentucky derby time
says: Try again lol,   ???Is this the bathroom?
says: ??? Is the the bathroom?
combat32 says: ehh freakin snow I hate it bring on summer
newf84 says: Cheers everyone!!
combat32 says: I like it!!  Just Brew It!
Brew Beerymore says: We all know Nike has the slogan: Just Do It!,

How about the 17crew have the slogan: Just Brew It!

?

+-Top Posters

combat32
vic
DamoNinja
CorronZenith
Greedy Dragon Brewing

Author Topic: How i started a nanobrewery in Venezuela!!! Part VI FINAL PART!!!  (Read 4036 times)

OldDans

You can find the other parts of this post on:
Part Ihttp://17crew.com/forums/your-brewing-stories/how-i-started-a-nanobrewery-in-venezuela!!!-part-i/
Part IIhttp://17crew.com/forums/your-brewing-stories/how-i-started-a-nanobrewery-in-venezuela!!!-part-ii/
Part IIIhttp://17crew.com/forums/your-brewing-stories/how-i-started-a-nanobrewery-in-venezuela!!!-part-iii/
Part IVhttp://17crew.com/forums/your-brewing-stories/how-i-started-a-nanobrewery-in-venezuela!!!-part-iv/

Part V
http://17crew.com/forums/index.php?topic=1794.0

I think that this it will be the last part of this story, reading again the other parts
ifind some errors in the dates but almost all it was ok, the timeline of events it´s in the right order.

I hope that all you enjoy this reading as I enjoy write this long story.

--Hard Work and take a brewing course--

On July 2013 one of our brewers friends was in a bookstore making some documents copies and on one desk he saw a lot of photocopies with a great brewing material and he start to look this material and then a guy appears and ask ¨what are you doing with my copies!!¨ our friend talk to him explaining that he is a homebrewer
and make beer in his house. Finally he discovers that this guy it is one of the most important brew masters in one of the Venezuela big commercial breweries. In the coming months our friend speak a lot with this master brewer and in September we and other brewers meet this master brewer, he explain to us that he is almost retired from the company, we set this meeting to ask him if he wants to give us the first brewing course of the ACAV, and a month later a group of homebrewers was attending again to the school, but this time it was to a brewing school.

We learn a lot in this course all the brewers make a selection
of interesting topics, and explain to him the importance of make an adaptation of this information to be applied on a homebrewery scale. We attend every Saturday and listen all day the stories and the very complex information that gives to us our teacher.

We discover all the mistakes that we have in our breweries,techniques, etc. And in that moment begun a lot of hard work to make changes in our methods and breweries to improve our beers. Not all the information was useful sometimes we discover that the ideas of our teacher it was the ideas of these big breweries, he explain to us that as brewers you have to make a tropical kind of beer (without flavor and color, because that is the beer of the Venezuelan people), and to finally make this beer you have to substitute some ingredients to reduces the expenses and make a big profit. So we have to make a selection
of the information we want to use in our breweries and the information to be forgot. We as a brewery, make the beer that like to us not the beer that it will like to everyone and sell a lot, we think that in this way we can have control on the final quality of the beer and make always a good beer, maybe make it an expensive beer but at least it will be a good beer.

Thanks to our teacher and in some way to the problems in our country (because of the delay in the construction of our mash tun) we make some modifications
in our future mash tun and in our little brewery to make it more efficient and better. We learn the importance of a lots of things but one that I think it´s the more important it was the in line aeration system. Our teacher explain to us that this is the best way to aerate the wort before we put the yeast, we explain to him the methods used by us in or breweries (usually a diffusion stone in the bottom of the fermenters), and he said to us that these kind of aeration it was ok, but it was one of the most inefficient way to aerate our wort. So i put my brain to work and design a little hand-made in line aeration system, and it works perfectly, the results was amazing. Normally after we cool the wort the activity in the fermenter it start in 5 to 6 hours after the we put yeast, with our new in line aeration we saw activity in less than 2 hours after we put the yeast. This is a little example of one of the things that we learn in this course.

Sometime you can find a lot of information on the internet and that it´s great and helps to make a better beer, but sometimes i
think that it´s important to make this kind of quick courses or to learn directly from another brewers, the things that you can learn it will help you a lot.

In late 2013 the movement of craft beer was amazing, the ACAV
have near 70 members and only in Caracas you can find 15 brands of craft beers.

As a consequence of
our new acquired fame, the big breweries association, make us an invitation to see what kind of rare animals are us, they invited us (the ACAV) to the brewery of POLAR in Caracas, this is one of the smallest breweries that POLAR has here in Venezuela, but it´s big enough to us. This visit was great, 30 homebrewers attends to the visit and we saw the entire brewery with the master brewer there, after the visit they invite us to lunch in a pub that they have there and all talk about beer. We always are very cautious with the big breweries, we know that they doesn’t wants us here in the country, and recently someone told me in secret that one of these breweries are making experiments to launch beers like ours at a very low cost. Will have to see if in the future they can make good beers and if this it will kill our movement.

In November the craft brewers take part in a
gastronomic fair in Caracas, this was an important one, and the public goes crazy with our beers, they never imagine that this exists in Venezuela, it was a four-day event and every day it´s a new group of brewers offering their beers. This impulse in a good way our movement and brings all of us a lot of great reviews.

In this fair side by side to us was the two big breweries stands and it was obvious one thing, their stands it was empty and ours was full of people asking for the process and drinking our beers, and this was very curious because our beer was very expensive if you compare with the price of their beer.

After the gastronomic fair, the ACAV
received two proposals, and these proposals were very similar and came from these two big breweries. They want to make a big event of beer culture in Caracas.

We analyses these proposals and we select the better one, because it was a more equilibrated one, they give to each one of the hombrewer
the same stand space room that the big brewery it will have, they will pay for everything and we can have our beer logos and our promotional stuff, and more important is that this big brewery accept to have in the event the two small breweries that they in the past has try to destroy, of course this it was not an easy task, the ACAV put their rules, ¨if you want us in an event you have to accept all of us as equals¨, the only brewery out of the event is the other big brewery of Venezuela.

This event is still on planning, but I think that in april 2014 it will be here in Caracas a great beer culture event.

Well as you can see every year is better than the previous year, 2013 give us lots of opportunities, and gives also a great learning and good things.

Right now 2014 it´s a very difficult year, in February the political crisis collapse the country and after 2 months of protests and 41 people was killed
in the streets as a result of the repression suffer by the government police, the situation In Venezuela is very difficult and complicated, we don’t know what it will happen in the future, but we try to make the things right and build a better country we hope that someday we finally can have a united Venezuela.

Practically in February as a result of the protest we have no sales, but we continued the production of
our beer. We work in two new final recipes, a belgian style witbier and a english robust porter. 

On march we made our historical sales number (this is one of the things that I can´t understand of Venezuela, the country is on fire and in a deep economic crisis and the people are drinking more beer than ever), and finally we finish the 7 months experiments on our witbier
and porter recipes. The witbier was a big success all the people love it and the porter we just put it this weekend on the bars and we are waiting to see the response of the people on the bars and restaurans (the porter it will be difficult to sell here because is a very strong flavor beer, and you know what the Venezuelan wants on beer hehe).

In this moment we are working in our IPA recipe and working with another of the craft breweries here in Caracas to make two beers between breweries this year.

Our mash tun and hot liquor tank are still not finished; we hope that in the next weeks we can have our brewery ready.

--Final words—

Maybe all of you thinks that we have a big microbrewery
here in Venezuela but the real things is that our brewery is very small, I’m sure that some of the people in this forum have more space than we have here, our brewery it´s just a small modified room in my house.

Our equipment it´s not professional equipment, almost anything we make it here in Venezuela and have a lot of problems and errors. I think that if our brewery was in the US we just be two homebrewers
with a fancy equipment. And here in Venezuela I fell like just a homebrewer.

We make between 400 L to 600 L every month and try to sell it. We make the beer, the bottling and the shipping and sometimes we sell it directly to the people, we are just two guys working hard.

I think that our beer is good for the standards here in Venezuela but I really don´t know if we could be qualified as a good beer in other countries with a more advance craft beer culture, we always try to learn new things and I’m sure that in this forum exists people with more experience that we have.

We still are fighting to make the craft beer legal here and we work hard for that. More beer cultures events will help to educate people in the country about craft beer.

This year we talk to some friends and we are making a project to make a microbrewery
in a future in other place in South America or the Caribbean, we are saving money to make possible this new dream, and keep fighting with our brewery for the good beer in Venezuela.

Finally I hope that these words helps someone to make his brewery dreams comes true, because if we here in Venezuela with all the problems that we have every day, we try to make it possible and make it real I think that any person in the world can make it too.

Well my friends this it´s all the story, thanks for reading it!!!

I´m always like to talk about beer, you can find us on twitter @olddans
, or send me an email aramarth@gmail.com.

Thanks!!!!! And Prost!!!!

Daniel López

The End.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:53:28 PM by OldDans »

Jaymcmlxx

• Master Brewer
  • Superhero Member

• Personal Text
    If you love great beer, strive to make great beer.
Re: How i started a nanobrewery in Venezuela!!! Part VI FINAL PART!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 01:19:33 PM »
Daniel, it has truly been an honor to read this simply incredible story, I thank you for sharing it. I wish you all the best is your quest. To you and your fellow brewers, cheers and 17! Jay  8)

OldDans

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 01:26:49 PM »
Daniel, it has truly been an honor to read this simply incredible story, I thank you for sharing it. I wish you all the best is your quest. To you and your fellow brewers, cheers and 17! Jay  8)

Thanks man!!!!!

arrogantbastardale

• Master Brewer

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 04:02:51 PM »
I'm going to forward this story over to the people at The Brewing Network.  They do several brewing/homebrew podcasts, and this story deserves to be covered more widely. 

SouthernBrew

• Certified Slacker

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 04:12:20 PM »
I'm going to forward this story over to the people at The Brewing Network.  They do several brewing/homebrew podcasts, and this story deserves to be covered more widely.

good idea

and great story
Planning: idk
Fermenting:  nada
Aging: nada
"On-Tap": nada

OldDans

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 05:06:42 PM »

Thanks again!!!

vic

• Superhero Member

• experienced elbow bender

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 08:45:19 PM »
thanks OldDans for that incredible story. what an inspiration you are. if I ever find myself doing it tough, in regards to brewing, I shall pause and remember this story.
beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer.....Henry Lawson.

homebrewdave

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 12:27:54 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to tell your story Daniel, We wish you all the best and I hope the future is kind.

Please stay on the forum as you be very welcome here  :) 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 01:02:13 AM by HomeBrewDave »

Greedy Dragon Brewing

• Master Brewer
  • Superhero Member

• Why the heck is the glass empty kind of guy! CheerZ

• Personal Text
    Greedy Dragon Brewing
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 10:19:10 AM »
Thank you for sharing your great story with us.  Look forward to hearing more from you.  CheerZ
Come check me out at https://www.youtube.com/user/GreedyDragonBrewing
If you like what you see please like, share, and subscribe. CheerZ

beerandgarden

• Beer And Garden
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 12:28:36 AM »
Thanks for posting your story Daniel, it is a truly fascinating read! As I found it so captivating I've reproduced it on my own blog, hope you don't mind but if it's a problem let me know and I can take it down. http://beerandgarden.com/2014/04/how-i-started-a-nanobrewery-in-venezuela/

OldDans

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
Thanks for posting your story Daniel, it is a truly fascinating read! As I found it so captivating I've reproduced it on my own blog, hope you don't mind but if it's a problem let me know and I can take it down. http://beerandgarden.com/2014/04/how-i-started-a-nanobrewery-in-venezuela/

Thanks to you, no problem that you posted in your blog.

Thanks again!!!!

Recent Topics

First Brew Help by combat32
Today at 07:28:30 PM

The BIPA that turned into a Stout [VIDEO] by DrHans
Today at 02:37:08 PM

Larger Mini Fridge by combat32
Today at 07:39:33 AM

What did you just pour? New Thread by combat32
August 19, 2018, 10:55:40 AM

What's everyone brewing?? by combat32
August 18, 2018, 02:53:08 PM

Let's see your hop plants!! by DrHans
August 18, 2018, 02:41:19 PM

Plaato airlock unboxing [VIDEO] by DrHans
August 17, 2018, 01:22:17 AM

Brewing a Lager in under 3 days [VIDEO] by DrHans
August 15, 2018, 01:21:19 AM

Corn sugar by combat32
August 14, 2018, 07:42:41 AM

Gear review Mini CO2 Gas Regulator [VIDEO] by DrHans
August 13, 2018, 11:30:27 AM

Adding grains to in prove a extract kit by Jaymcmlxx
August 12, 2018, 07:13:34 AM

Coconut NEIPA [VIDEO] by DrHans
August 09, 2018, 12:25:54 PM

Brewed my pumpkin this weekend by combat32
August 09, 2018, 07:45:50 AM

Beer mail from Combat32, Christmas Ale by combat32
August 08, 2018, 07:41:42 AM

Question for Mac: How do Nano Breweries fly sparge by Macdonald
August 06, 2018, 07:07:13 PM

Well here they are by Macdonald
August 06, 2018, 07:03:45 PM

Bottle day by MichaelSingleton
July 28, 2018, 03:07:55 PM

Beer Keg by vic
July 25, 2018, 05:14:25 AM

Stout taste test by Hplovecraft07
July 21, 2018, 01:27:38 PM

Hop Rhizomes and plants by combat32
July 19, 2018, 11:40:50 AM

Lost another LHBS by Black Dog Brewery
July 18, 2018, 06:48:26 PM

17 Cream Ale - all grain by Brew Beerymore
July 14, 2018, 05:35:16 AM

Proper way to plant multiple hop Rhizomes by Black Dog Brewery
July 12, 2018, 10:33:49 PM

Bottle conditioning problem by Brew Beerymore
July 09, 2018, 02:51:24 PM

I start working at my LHBS by Brew Beerymore
July 09, 2018, 08:02:41 AM

Mashing/Boiling Question by combat32
July 08, 2018, 09:09:58 AM

Courgette/zucchini wine.....? by combat32
July 07, 2018, 08:05:23 PM

Brewing with Breakfast Cereal? by DrHans
July 01, 2018, 12:28:30 PM

Update on my hops! [VIDEO] by DrHans
June 29, 2018, 11:48:12 AM

Welcome by combat32
June 28, 2018, 08:42:31 AM

Flaked Rice by combat32
June 28, 2018, 08:35:14 AM

My Best Way to Pasteurize Fruit for Brewing! by DrHans
June 26, 2018, 11:32:17 AM

My best BIPA recipe and reviewing a beer mail BIPA by DrHans
June 24, 2018, 04:16:09 PM

Howdy from a New York Red Neck by Brew Beerymore
June 24, 2018, 09:55:54 AM

Beer Head by combat32
June 23, 2018, 09:10:26 PM

Brewing!!! by Hplovecraft07
June 20, 2018, 11:02:27 AM

Abbey beer by Hplovecraft07
June 15, 2018, 02:15:39 PM

Saison du Miel by combat32
June 14, 2018, 03:00:52 PM

17 Nut Brown Ale Recipe by Brew Beerymore
June 14, 2018, 08:28:38 AM

GrainFather Connect app by Brew Beerymore
June 14, 2018, 08:18:51 AM

Brewfather - brewing software by Brew Beerymore
June 14, 2018, 07:39:22 AM

Hops at flame-out by MagnusYeflwulf
June 12, 2018, 12:08:35 PM

hello from Louisiana by MagnusYeflwulf
June 11, 2018, 09:37:46 AM

Pellets Vs Whole by combat32
June 11, 2018, 07:52:33 AM

Whispering Wheat Hefeweizen by MagnusYeflwulf
June 10, 2018, 10:06:30 AM

Brew with the crew! LIVE stream tomorrow at 2pm GMT by combat32
June 08, 2018, 07:32:30 AM

Santa Rita Pale Ale by combat32
June 06, 2018, 07:37:36 AM

Stein Beer "Pele's Battle" Brew Day by Manbearpig1122334455
June 05, 2018, 11:06:56 PM

Someone brewed my 2016 SJPorr Challenge 2nd place winning beer by Manbearpig1122334455
June 05, 2018, 10:59:42 PM

Belgian Leffe All Grain, but what yeast? by Hobrr
June 05, 2018, 11:55:22 AM

What is this?? by Hobrr
June 05, 2018, 11:48:07 AM

Hop plant bull bines by BDRJ
June 04, 2018, 03:55:43 PM

Hello from New Zealand by johnnyingeorgia
June 03, 2018, 07:41:07 PM

Shotgun Sunday anyone? by Manbearpig1122334455
June 03, 2018, 01:36:09 PM

Churchill's Brown by combat32